Mission and Vision
The Hicksville United Methodist Church is a joyful Christ-like community; unified in our diversity, mission focused, and supportive in a safe, welcoming, and comfortable environment.
The People of the United Methodist Church What We Believe from: The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church
¶ 120. The Mission – The Hicksville United Methodist empowers all people to grow in their relationship with God by providing opportunities for worship, study, fellowship, and mission to our neighbors in a safe and comfortable environment.
¶ 121. Rationale for Our Mission -The mission of the Church is to make disciples of Jesus
Christ for the transformation of the world by proclaiming the good news of God’s grace and by
exemplifying Jesus’ command to love God and neighbor, thus seeking the fulfillment of God’s
reign and realm in the world. The fulfillment of God’s reign and realm in the world is the vision
Scripture holds before us. The United Methodist Church affirms that Jesus Christ is the Son of
God, the Savior of the world, and the Lord of all. As we make disciples, we respect persons of
all religious faiths and we defend religious freedom for all persons. Jesus’ words in Matthew
provide the Church with our mission: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey
everything that I have commanded you” (28:19-20), and “You shall love the Lord your God
with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. . . . And you shall love your neighbor as yourself: (22:37,39).
¶ 122. The Process for Carrying Out Our Mission -We make disciples as we:
• Proclaim the gospel, seek, welcome and gather persons into the body of Christ;
• Lead persons to commit their lives to God through baptism by water and the spirit and profession of faith in Jesus Christ;
• Nurture persons in Christian living through worship, the sacraments, spiritual disciplines, and other means of grace, such as Wesley’s Christian conferencing;
• Send persons into the world to live lovingly and justly as servants of Christ by healing the sick, feeding the hungry, caring for the stranger, freeing the oppressed, being and becoming a compassionate, caring presence, and working to develop social structures that are consistent with the gospel; and
• Continue the mission of seeking, welcoming and gathering persons into the community of the body of Christ.
At Hicksville United Methodist Church, we welcome anyone and everyone who wants to join us and to follow Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
We are a congregation with very liberal-thinking members, very conservative-thinking members, and members in between. We take for granted that we will not all agree on everything. But as United Methodists, we have an obligation to bear a faithful Christian witness to Jesus Christ, the living reality at the center of the Church’s life and witness.