“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.” (Psalm 23:1):
1) The Lord cares for and watches over us, and provides all that we need. The Lord is our Caretaker, Shepherd, Overseer, Guidance Counselor, Father, Mother, Provider and Giver of all things.
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;” (Psalm 23:4a):
2) The Lord is close to us in the lowest of times, and we need not fear. Even though we may walk through dark times, we trust that God is with us even there. It is especially in those times when we must “let go and let God” love and take care of us.
“Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” (Psalm 23: 4b):
3) The Lord’s authority over our life should bring us protection and comfort. As long as we are walking in the ways of the Lord, his authority and protection abides with us.
“You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;” (Psalm 23:5a):
4) The Lord provides the living Word—a feast for us, even in the presence of our enemies. We will have trials, but if we feast on His word, found in the Bible, and learn to be still in His presence, it makes walking through those times much easier.
“You anoint my head with oil;” (Psalm 23:5b):
5) The Lord anoints those of us who believe in Him and follow Him. The Lord anoints us and fill us with the desire to worship and to service Him. King David was anointed to do God’s will and so are we who believe and the Lord.
“My cup overflows.” (Psalm 23:5c):
6) The Lord provides an abundance of blessings to us. So many blessings that our cup is always full—even overflowing at times. We must live a life of thanksgiving and gratefulness to the Lord our God! If we are able to read this reflection today, then let us count our blessings “one by one.”
“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,” (Psalm 23:6a):
7) The Lord’s goodness and unfailing love pursues us all the days of our lives. Can you imagine, we cannot run away from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord? When we are running from the Lord, the Lord runs after us and wraps us in His unfailing love for us. Thank you Lord for overtaking us with Your unfailing love!
“And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23:6b):
8) The Lord our God provides a place for us to dwell with Him forever! Jesus said, “In my Father’s house they are many dwelling places…I go to prepare a place for you” (John 14:). The best part is, we will get to live with the Lord forever and ever! Amen.